Outdoor Grow Kit for Psilocybe Azurescens Magic Mushrooms
The Azurescens kit is a spawn bag that you can use to grow your own Azurescens mushrooms. It is quite easy to use and can inoculate up to 5-10 liters of wood chips to create a mushroom patch in your garden.
Psilocybe Azurescens are 5 to 6 times more powerful than Psilocybe cubensis.
The best time to start an outdoor patch of Azurescens mushrooms is February and March. This way the mycelium has enough time to colonize the wood and you can have Azurescens mushrooms around autumn.
However, success cannot be guaranteed. Too many factors could influence the outcome of the culture. No refunds or replacements on Psilocybe Azurescens spawn
Contents of the Psilocybe Azurescens mushroom kit
- 280ml Psilocybe Azurescens Mushroom Spawn
Growing Information Azurescens Outdoor Growkit
- Destination: exterior
- Substrate: wood chips
- Strength: Very strong
- Cultivation level: medium – hard
- Settling temperature: 16-24ºC
- Fruiting temperature: approximately 7ºC
- Harvest period: October-January
Azurescens grows in colder, wetter climates. Mushrooms usually appear around fall and winter. You will need a place in the garden that will not be disturbed for a long time.
Because setting up Azurescens takes a lot of time. from spawning to harvest can take months.
This kit is used for outdoor growing and could be contaminated with other fungi.
Make sure to only harvest the Psilocybe Azurescens mushroom from the patch and remove all others.
When to start growing Azurescens?
You can start the Azurescens kit at any time of the year, between March and October. To make things easier, here is a calendar where you can see when to start settling in for the same year.
The Azurescens mycelium will need time to colonize and prepare for fruiting mushrooms. This process takes months. If you start early in the year, you could have your first mushroom harvest around October.
If you start in September, the first mushroom will grow the following year.
Timeline for growing Azurescens mushrooms outdoors:
- January, February: Craft or buy spawn
- February, March: Transfer of colonized spawn to sterilized wood chips.
- March, April, May: Transfer colonized wood chips to outdoor wood chip beds.
- September, October, November, December: Fruiting of mushrooms, and harvest
How to grow Azurescens Mushrooms outdoors?
Materials you need:
- Garden or balcony
- 5 – 10 liters of wood chips, 6 mm. If it is too thick, it takes a long time to colonize
- Cardboard box, Size: 30 x 30 x 15 cm.
- Plastic bag
- 1 to 2 liter container, form mixing spawn and wood chips
- Patience: Yes, again… you will have to wait.
Azurescens Grow Kit Instructions
Growing Azurescens mushrooms seems difficult, but if you follow the following steps carefully, you are one step closer to growing them in your garden or balcony.
Step 1: Prepare the substrate
- Take a large container and add the wood chips
- Boil enough water to soak the wood chips
- Immerse the wood chips with clean tap water
- Leave to soak for 12 hours
Step 2: Prepare the Azurescens Spawn
Wash your hands first.
- Take the container with the spawn (Azurescens mycelium) and open the lid
- Use a ziplock bag or clean bowl and add the spawn. Alternatively, you can leave the spawn in the container and break it in there.
- Gently break the mycelium into small pieces/pieces, or squeeze the bag to break up the mycelium.
You can now inoculate the wood shavings with the Azurescens spawn pieces.
Step 3: Inoculate the wood chips
- Get your jar of sterilized wood chips
- Add the spawn to the wood chips
- Mix the white with the wood shavings, using your hands or a fork.
Make sure to evenly distribute the mycelium pieces over the wood chips. The mycelium will start growing again and cover the wood chips (colonize) much more quickly if there are pieces of mycelium all around the substrate.
Step 4 Colonization of wood chips
- Cover the wood chips with a damp piece of cardboard and place the lid on top. Don’t close the lid, just leave it on top. The substrate must be covered, but the mycelium must be able to breathe and grow. No air, no growth.
- Keep the container in a clean, dust-free, draft-free place in your home.
- Allow the container to colonize for 4-5 weeks until it is completely colonized by Azurens mycelium.
- When all the wood chips are white from the mycelium, you are ready for the next step.
Step 5: Prepare the extra wood chips
- Collect the rest of the wood chips and pour it into a large container
- Boil enough water to submerge the wood chips
- Immerse the wood chips in water. Alternatively, you can boil the wood chips with the water in a saucepan (large pot) on the stove, simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Let the wood chips soak in water and cool overnight (12 hours)
- Drain all the water from the wood chips. Wood chips should be damp and not wet
Step 6: Make the Mycelium Bed in a Box (and an Alternative)
You will need the cardboard, colonized wood chips, and wet wood chips from step 6. (previous step)
Make sure the cardboard box is closed at the bottom, a little extra tape can help.
- Wash your hands.
- Add both batches of wood chips to the cardboard box and mix them gently, but very well, together.
The colonized wood chips should be mixed evenly over the wet wood chips. You are now ready to plant your Azurescens mycelium outdoors!
Step 7: Bury the Azurescens mycelium outside
You will need: the shovel, the cardboard box with the mycelium, additional soil or wood chips, leaves and branches.
Choose a plot of land out of direct sunlight, in the shade. And it can last a long time without being disturbed. This is where you make your bed of Azurescens mycelium.
- Dig a hole suitable for the box
- Make sure the box stays open and bury the cardboard box
- Add 1 cm of moist topsoil to your bed of Azurescens mycelium
- You can add some grass seeds to the ground to make a nice garden. You can also cover it with wood chips, leaves, moss or branches
Now you wait, while the mycelium spreads underground forming its network even further. You both wait until fall to have the ideal temperatures to fruit and harvest.
Taking care of your Azurescens outdoor patch
A well-made Azurescens will last you year after year. But it will have to be taken care of.
Humidity is the key factor in a everlasting Azurescens mushroom patch. During hot summer days or long periods without rain, it is important to keep your Azurescens patch moist.
Look and feel the soil, stick a finger into the soil to see if it is still wet 3-4 cm below the surface.
Not wet? Add water to your Azurescens patch!
Mycelium feeds on wood chips and other organic matter in the soil. It should have enough nutrients to last for years.
If you have poor, clayey or sandy soil with little organic matter, it is good to enrich the soil with a little more wood chips, leaves, branches after 2 years of cultivation.
Add fresh wood chips in spring. This gives enough time for the Azurescens mycelium to colonize and give you mushrooms in the fall/fall
Do not use fertilizer or pest control.
Protect your Azurescens patch against frost and snow. Add an extra layer of wood chips to the mycelium bed or cover it with branches. This protects the mycelium from freezing and adds additional nutrients.
Important Warning: Overtime may be contaminated with other species of fungi. Only harvest Azurescens mushrooms and remove all others. You are not sure of the identity of the mushroom, do not use it!
From September to December (first frost), you can expect Azurescens mushrooms to grow in your garden.
Fungi appear when the temperature is below 10°C and the weather is sufficiently humid. It is possible to get 1 to 3 flushes, depending on weather conditions.
Now is the time to harvest and pick some Azurescens mushrooms.
When do you harvest Azurescens Mushrooms?
Azurescens mushrooms, like cubensis, are picked to be harvested when ripe. This is when the veil of the mushroom breaks. However, outdoor growing conditions aren’t ideal and you never know when it’s going to happen.
It is therefore best to pick Azurescens mushrooms when they “look ripe”. Each open cap Azurescens mushroom is ready to pick. Is the cork slightly open or about to be? Pick them up!
How do you harvest Azurescens mushrooms?
Azurescens mushrooms are easy to harvest. Pick them one by one or a whole cluster of mushrooms at a time. Grasp the mushroom at its base, as close to the ground as possible. Gently twist and the mushroom is released from the mycelium.
Check your patch daily for new fungi
Visit the Responsible Use page for more information on the do’s and don’ts of mushrooms.
This kit is intended for small scale domestic use only. Do not use for human consumption. Use only for spore breeding and research.
Psilocybe Azurescens are 5 to 6 times more powerful than Psilocybe cubensis.